Bou is a new-school brand company for those creating something novel, radical, or flat out weird. Our next design hire is most likely someone who crafts dashing visual identities, applies them to digital channels, and does so with an idea-first mindset.
Working at Bou
When joining Bou, you'll get to work directly with our 100+ brands, ranging from early-stage companies to more established brands, universities, and nonprofits. And we really do mean directly – we don’t have key account managers or pure strategists at Bou. You'll become a part of an all-hands-on-deck team building brands through marketing, communications, design, and web development.
Your daily tasks
As a designer at Bou, your typical days include tasks like concepting brand ideas and identities, designing websites and other brand applications, planning and creating visuals for campaigns, as well as working closely with our marketers, writers and developers.
Thanks to your past experiences, taking a leading role in projects comes naturally to you. At Bou, that means taking a proactive role in strategic brand development, not only completing but also prioritising tasks, and communicating directly with our clients.
- Deep understanding of branding – you know that a great visual identity is just one aspect of branding, and understand that your expertise is needed from first positioning exercise to continuous marketing and communications efforts
- 5+ years of experience from agencies or in-house – you have an extensive portfolio from working as a designer or an art director
- Simply put: you’re a very good designer – you know this, but you don’t let it go over your head. You value straight talk and direct feedback, and want to know when your work is not first-rate
- You understand the technology and tools your designs are built on – you work well with developers and understand how much time making pixel-perfect work requires
- You go for motion when you can – you consider movement as part of a brand's visual identity, and have solid 2D animation skills to move things on websites and social media feeds
- Client communications and project management experience – you keep a cool head under pressure, and can give and take candid feedback well
- Hunger to learn from a wide range of industries – we build brands for a great variety of products and companies, from handcrafted coffee to mobile games and waste-sorting robotics
We acknowledge that finding a person who ticks every box is pretty challenging. That’s why we prefer an “If I don’t know, I’ll figure it out” -attitude over having a perfectly matching CV & portfolio.
Note that we keep updating this job description to match our current needs. If this version sounded good to you, let's talk during summer. When we have an optimal candidate, it's just about finding the right time to join forces (though as our hands are pretty full, we hope you could start already in fall).
Last updated July 1, 2021